Post n°6

Gender Roles and Stereotypes

Gender roles and stereotypes have marked Chilean society for a long time, making them almost a mediator of our lives.  Many times others have told us what that it’s appropriate, how you should behave if you are a man or a woman, what colors or activities are yours. We are subjected to comments and attitudes from others that are unfair. They encapsulate us without allowing us to achieve personal freedom and they criticize us for not framing ourselves in the traditional.




It is as profound as the world has been governed by gender roles that in countries like Saudi Arabia women have started driving vehicles just a few months ago as it was considered a male activity. And even they can only do it with the authorization of their husband, brother or father.
I feel that it is an issue that excludes no one, affects all of us and I can say that I have been a victim of these situations sometimes in very simple things.

Since I was a little girl, I’ve liked colors that don’t relate to pink. I always chose blue and green for a matter of preference, but in those moments adults even came to repress me and question my sexual orientation for something as basic as colors. And as a little girl, I was wondering, "Is there something wrong with me?". As I grew, I realized that this is the concern that society wants to establish for us.

Women should live under the eaves of their husbands. Men cannot cry. Cooking is for women and science is for men. Women can’t be engineers and men can’t be nurses.

Women cannot decide for themselves and must live in fear. All men are evil. 

It’s time to change our thinking and worry about getting better. We must let the people live his life as wants, we must allow ourselves to be happy without worrying about what others say or think is right. We must understand that sexism is a thing of the past.

Comentarios

  1. the letter is very small Haha but you’re right, it’s time for change!!

    ResponderEliminar

Publicar un comentario

Entradas populares de este blog

Post 6, postgraduate studies

Blog n°2: My favorite vacation or concert